Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Power of Seeking Help

This is not a life changing event, yet it is an eye opener for me.
My ego transmogrified from being a Tiger->Mouse->Tiger->Mouse in an interval of 30 minutes.

Here is the incident:

We were on a long drive for a short break from the daily life over a long weekend to Ooty. At Masinagudi, a small town before Ooty, the road was very narrow - not enough space for two vehicles to pass. I see an oncoming jeep and very cordially both of us (jeep and I) slowed down to almost standstill. As we were maneuvering past each other, I felt that I have gone way too left and the front left tyre is about to slip into a drain running along the road. I braked - and let my first "Tiger ego" take over.

Tiger Ego to Wife and Kids: Don't worry - just get out of the car - I know what to do. The kids and wife get out and I try a trick - and from just being at the edge of the drain, the front left tyre now  rests firmly in the drain.

Thankfully the Tiger disappeared - and Mouse ego came out: I need help. It feels so bad to seek help. But I did seek it - and help came pouring out.
There is a lorry driver, a jeep driver and few other bystanders ready to help. Maybe one incentive was that I was blocking the narrow road.
They didn't want to destroy the fibre bumper of my car - so instead of pushing it out by brute force - they jack up the sunken wheel. Go scavenging for boulders to put under the sunken wheel. In 30 minutes, the car is out. What I did during this while: Tried to converse in English and Hindi with a Tamil speaking guy to understand what the plan of action was - till someone told me - Sir, please start the car-> Cut right-> and no matter what do not let the car slide back.

The Car is out and So is the Tiger: I thank all the people around me - quite profusely - but my hand goes to my wallet -> Can I pay you something/anything? I ask.

To be turned back into a mouse the next instant: No Thanks is the reply - as the three of them put back the boulders they had borrowed from the fields nearby. As for me:

I remember the sanitized Team Building games demonstrating the "Power of Seeking Help" that I have played in outbound workshops. I remember reading articles on random acts of kindness. But experiencing it first hand - thankfully in just a minor incident - opens the door for seeking help.

I'm not concerned whether seeking help makes me a mouse or a tiger, what matters is that I need it - and there are many others out there who are kind enough to provide it.

And yes, the next time I see somebody stuck - maybe not even asking for help - I might still offer to help.

1 comment:

Sree said...

Good to see you back writing...