Sunday, February 21, 2010

Carbon Detective: Toy Story

Did some weekly cleaning over the weekend for the kids' room. Apart from the usual tidying up I took stock of toys that can be given off and found an interesting pattern about my kids' interests, interested?
70% of toys are vehicles with cars being the most prefered ones. Most of the cars were non battery operated - and each one looked as if it had clocked upwards of 100,000 kilometers. Looks like money well spent. However, there were few almost brand new toys and few were battery operated as well.
Now, since every few weeks we end up buying a new toy for the kids', a visit from grandparents, aunts and uncles results in a windfall, any birthday party results in an exchange of toys and to top it all even Mac gives a toy, I shouldn't have been surprised at the real estate the toys occupy and their usage pattern! But I'm surprised and this is an investigation into:
  • How big is the Indian Toy Industry
  • What is its environmental footprint
  • What are the alternatives if any for me to reduce my footprint of toys

No comments: